# 6 Rice's Landing, PA
original Lock 6 on the Monongahela was completed in 1856, this lock and
major repair work during 1902. The photos below, from the
collection of the Elizabeth Marine Ways, may be part of this repair work.
This lock was permanently removed from operation in 1965.
determination of the location of
these photos being Rice's Landing is based upon the name "Covert" being
on the barn located across from the lock. The Land Warrant map shown
below shows that a John Covert purchased land along the Monongahela in
1820, close to Rice's Landing.
Above photo showing Lock 6 in 1923
Above photos were taken
during mid 1960s with three dated September 1965 which was when Lock 6
was removed from service, assumption is that these three photos are
showing activities related to this. Photos from collection of Jacob
Above color photos show the Lock 6 land wall as it
appears during Fall of 2015, photos taken by Jacob Spencer.